If you are caring for a child whose parents are unfit, unwilling and unable to provide care for the child themselves, you can file for a guardianship. This process can be made easier if one or both of the parents are willing to consent. If you are seeking a guardianship, you should be prepared to complete a background check and file annual reports with the Court. It can be helpful to have legal guardianship over a minor child if you plan to enroll the child in your school district, make medical decisions for the child or receive benefits on behalf of the child.