If a child is born outside of a marriage a paternity action is necessary to establish the legal parents of the child. If a parent acknowledges paternity of the child at the birth of the child by executing an affidavit, the parent is the presumptive parent of the child. If you believe you are the parent, file a paternity action to determine paternity, custody, parenting time and child support. Without a Judgment of Paternity, your parenting time and custodial rights are at the mercy of the other parent. Paternity actions also help prevent the other parent from relocating with your child without your consent.